38.2 F
Tysons
Friday, December 9, 2022
FairfaxUnattended candle leads to $920K damage to McLean house

Unattended candle leads to $920K damage to McLean house

Must Read

The Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department and Arlington County Fire Department on Jan. 8 at 10:42 p.m. dispatched units to a reported house fire in the 1500 block of Dominion Hill Court in McLean.

Arriving units found fire showing from all sides of the two-story, single-family home and requested a second alarm. Crews worked to control the large volume of fire and prevent it from spreading to neighboring homes.

Firefighters knocked down the blaze in 30 minutes. Personnel remained on the scene throughout the night to cool hotspots.

Two occupants were home at the time of the fire. Working smoke alarms were present and activated after the occupants discovered the fire. Both occupants evacuated the house and called 911.

Sponsored

There were no reported civilian or firefighter injuries, officials said.

Fire investigators determined that the blaze was accidental in nature and started in the family room. The cause of the fire was an unattended candle that ignited nearby combustibles.

Two occupants were displaced because of the fire and they declined assistance offered by the Red Cross. Damages as a result of the fire were about $919,500, fire officials said.

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Makeover brings convenience store to gas station in Tysons

A Tysons service station damaged by a small tornado March 31 now will be getting a spruced up exterior...
- Advertisement -

More Articles Like This