66.9 F
Monday, August 15, 2022
ArlingtonPolice Beat, 7/14/22 edition

Police Beat, 7/14/22 edition

Must Read

News of crime and punishment across Arlington.


•• On July 6 at 9:31 p.m., officers responded to the 3200 block of 24th Street South for a report of a male victim suffering from a gunshot wound and a female victim suffering from grazing wounds.

According to police, a large group had been congregating in the area when a suspect or suspects fired multiple rounds, injuring the victims and causing property damage to buildings and a vehicle.

Witnesses reported seeing individuals in a black sedan leave the area at a high rate of speed immediately following the incident. Officers canvassed the area but did not turn up the suspects.

The male victim was transported to an area hospital for treatment of wounds described as serious but non-life-threatening.


•• On July 5 at 3:12 a.m., an individual was delivering pizza by vehicle in the 800 block of South Greenbrier Street when he was approached by two individuals wearing black ski masks, police said.

The suspects displayed firearms, threatened the victim and demanded he give them his personal belongings before stealing his vehicle, a black 2013 Hyundai Elantra.

A subsequent search by police, including a helicopter, did not yield the suspects. There are no descriptions of the suspects, police said.


•• On July 1 at 8:01 a.m., officers were dispatched to the 1200 block of North Kennebec Street after a verbal altercation between two individuals escalated into a physical confrontation.

According to police, one of the combatants allegedly struck the other multiple times, then grabbed a glass object and continued to strike him.
The suspect – 34-year-old Michael Barnes-Tyler of Arlington – was arrested and charged with malicious wounding, assault-and-battery and possession of a Schedule I/II controlled substance. He was held on a secure bond.

The victim was treated on scene by medics.

•• On July 2 at 10 p.m., two men became involved in a verbal dispute in the 4200 block of 2nd Road North which escalated when one of the combatants allegedly struck the other with a glass bottle, police said.

The suspect fled the scene prior to the arrival of officers.

The victim was transported to a local hospital for treatment of wounds considered non-life-threatening.

•• On July 4 at 2:33 a.m., officers were dispatched to Virginia Hospital Center for a report of an individual being treated for stab wounds.

The victim told police that he was in an establishment in the 2200 block of Arlington Boulevard when he and another individual became engaged in a verbal dispute that escalated into a physical confrontation. During the incident, the suspect struck the victim with a bottle, police said.

The victim was being treated for injuries described as non-life-threatening.


•• On July 2 at 10:45 p.m., an individual was entering a residence in the 4400 block of 31st Street South when two individuals approached him from behind, police said.

The suspects assaulted the victim and stole his cash before fleeing.

The suspects are described as black males. One is described as 5’9” to 6 feet tall.

•• On July 7 at 9:05 a.m., a youth in the 1100 block of North Stafford Street reported that three juvenile suspects pushed him to the ground, assaulted him and stole his shoes, police said.

The victim received minor injuries but declined medical attention.

The investigation uncovered that, before this incident, the suspects attempted unsuccessfully to steal property from a second juvenile and approached a third juvenile, asking for her personal property and fleeing the scene with it.

The suspects are described as juvenile black males, all wearing ski masks.


•• On July 1 at 11:35 a.m., an individual entered a business in the 1200 block of South Hayes Street when he became engaged in a verbal dispute with employees, police said.

During the incident, the suspect reached into his bag, brandished a firearm and made threatening statements, police said, before fleeing the area on foot.

The suspect is described as a black male.


•• On July 4 at 5 p.m., officers checking in a parking garage in the 800 block of Army Navy Drive observed a parked, unoccupied vehicle registered to an individual wanted for felony charges out of Anne Arundel County, Md., police said.

When the suspect returned to the vehicle, officers attempted to take him into custody, but he refused to follow the commands of officers, police said. The suspect then fled the scene in the vehicle at a high rate of speed, striking two cruisers and causing minor damage while breaking the arm of the gate to the garage, officers said.

Officers initiated a vehicle pursuit as the driver continued to drive erratically before going the wrong way on a ramp to Interstate 395, police said.

The Arlington County Police Department was joined by the Virginia State Police, with assistance from helicopters of the Metropolitan Police and U.S. Park Police, to establish a perimeter. The suspect ultimately was arrested by Alexandria Police Department, and the vehicle was found unoccupied in Alexandria.

Warrants for felony eluding, two counts of assault on law enforcement, felony destruction of property and misdemeanor destruction of property were obtained for the suspect, who was not identified in a police report.
The investigation is ongoing, police said.


•• On July 1 at 4:11 p.m., officers responded to the 1300 block of South Joyce Street for a report of a larceny in progress.

Responding officers located the suspect vehicle in the vicinity of 20th Street South and Richmond Highway, observing that the vehicle had become inoperable and two individuals were attempting to push it.

Two additional individuals exited the vehicle, and all four were detained by police.

The first suspect – 41-year-old Gregory Davis of the District of Columbia – was arrested and charged with unauthorized use of a vehicle and receiving stolen property. He was held on a secured bond.

The second suspect – 27-year-old Marcus Lee of the District of Columbia – was arrested and charged with petty larceny (shoplifting). He was released on a summons.

The other two individuals were released from the scene.


•• On July 3 at 1:15 a.m., officers were dispatched to the 1300 block of Fort Myer Drive after a resident reported an individual stopped next to her vehicle, with her vehicle’s alarm sounding.

The individual in the neighboring vehicle then fled the scene. The victim then observed that a window to her vehicle was smashed, but nothing was taken.

Officers canvassed the area within several blocks of the incident and discovered three vehicles with windows stolen and airbags taken. Follow-up investigation upped the number of vehicles with windows smashed and airbags stolen throughout the county to 34.

All vehicles were Honda and Acura models, police said.


•• On June 23 at 9:58 p.m., someone entered a storage facility in the 600 block of South Ball Street and tampered with the locks to approximately seven storage units, police said.

No items were reported damaged or stolen.

The suspect is described as a white male with short black hair and a beard.

•• On July 1 at 2:30 p.m., an individual was inside a hotel room in the 1700 block of Richmond Highway when he was awakened by noise at the door.

Upon investigation, the victim observed a suspect at the open door. The suspect fled on foot.

Hotel personnel canvassed the building but did not uncover the perpetrator, described as a black male with dreadlocks.

•• On July 5 at 3:14 a.m., an individual entered a business in the 200 block of North Glebe Road, tampered with the cash register and stole cash and merchandise, police said.

There was no sign of forced entry.

The suspect is described as a black male, bald with slim build.

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Golf teams see plenty of tournament action

Of the local high-school golf teams in the Sun Gazette’s coverage areas, the McLean Highlanders have enjoyed the most...
- Advertisement -

More Articles Like This