News of crime and punishment across Arlington this week.
ASSAULT ON POLICE:
• On May 30 at 4:30 p.m., officers responded to the 200 block of South Glebe Road for a report of a larceny in progress.
According to police, a store owner reported that a woman had stolen flowers and destroyed a planter outside the business. The suspect was located in the area and, as officers attempted to detain her, she struck one of the arresting officers in the face, police said.
The suspect – 34-year-old Nejat Ahmed Hussen of Rockville – was charged with assault-and-battery on law enforcement and destruction of property, and was held without bond.
• On June 2 at 1:40 a.m., an individual reported witnessing a dispute between a woman and two men in the 400 block of 23rd Street South, and intervened.
At that time, one of the suspects struck and kicked the individual who intervened, who was assisted into a vehicle by another witness. According to police, one of the suspects then struck and damaged the window to the vehicle before fleeing the scene on foot.
The victim sustained injuries described as serious but non-life-threatening, but declined the treatment of medics, police said.
The suspect is described as a Middle Eastern male, 25 to 30 years old, 5’11” 180 pounds.
• On May 27 at 6:55 p.m., an individual pushed a woman to the ground and stole her purse during an incident at Columbia Pike and South Greenbrier St.
The suspect fled with the purse, which included cash and a set of keys. He is described as a black male, slender, with dreadlocks in a ponytail.
The victim was evaluated on scene by medics.
• On May 31 at 12:33 a.m., a woman exited a restroom stall in the 500 block of 12th Street South and observed a male suspect with his pants down and genitals exposed, police said.
The suspect, who fled, is described as a black male, 5’5” with a skinny build.
• On May 30 between 4 and 6 a.m., three mopeds that had been legally parked but not secured were reported taken from the 1100 block of South Thomas Street.
The vehicles were a 2019 Vespa, 2021 Piaggio and a Honda.
• On May 29 at 10:09 a.m., an individual attempting to enter a home in the 200 block of North Thomas Street found a screen window removed and the window open. Responding officers searched the home but did not locate anyone inside.
• On May 21 between midnight at 1:30 p.m., an individual entered an occupied dwelling in the 500 block of North Thomas Street and took a key hanger with keys. There were no signs of forced entry.