28.2 F
Tysons
Thursday, January 27, 2022
FairfaxOfficials: Welding torch ignites home fire in Great Falls

Officials: Welding torch ignites home fire in Great Falls

Must Read

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded July 22 at 7:11 p.m. to a reported house fire in the 9400 block of Brian Jac Lane in Great Falls.

Arriving units found fire showing from the roof of a two-story, single-family home. The department dispatched a water-tanker task force because there were limited fire hydrants in the area. Crews quickly extinguished the fire. No civilian or firefighter injuries were reported, officials said.

No occupants were home at the time of the fire. The fire was discovered when a neighbor saw smoke coming from the rear of the house. Another neighbor called 911. There were working smoke alarms in the home at the time of the fire, officials said.

Fire investigators determined that the blaze was accidental in nature and started in the ceiling above the metal I-beam. A subcontractor had been using an open-flame torch near wood structural members in the ceiling and radiant heat from the welding torch ignited the wood structural members in the ceiling.

The fire did not displace any of home’s occupants, as the house was undergoing a major renovation. The occupants declined assistance offered by the Red Cross. The fire caused about $93,750 worth of damage, officials said.

- Advertisement -

Join Our Newsletter

Latest News

Langley wins two, now 7-0 in district

The first was in overtime and the second came by a blowout as the Langley Saxons won home games...
- Advertisement -

More Articles Like This

Get our email updates

WHAT’S UP? 

 

Find out what’s going down around town

with our FREE newsletter from the Sun Gazette!