50.8 F
Tysons
Thursday, December 8, 2022
FairfaxFire from unattended meat smoker kills dog, damages McLean home

Fire from unattended meat smoker kills dog, damages McLean home

Must Read

The Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department and Arlington County Fire Department on Sept. 28 at 1:46 a.m. dispatched units to a reported house fire in the 6900 block of Birch Street in McLean.

Arriving units found fire showing from a two-story, single-family home and worked quickly to control the fire in less than 10 minutes. The family’s dog perished in the fire, but there were no civilian or firefighter injuries reported.

Four occupants were home at the time of the fire. The homeowners discovered the fire when they woke up to their dog barking and the smoke alarms sounding. Upon investigating, the occupants saw fire in the kitchen. One occupant called 911 while another tried to rescue the dog. All occupants evacuated the house before fire crews arrived.

Fire investigators determined the blaze was accidental in nature and started on the home’s rear deck. The cause of the fire was an unattended barbecue/meat smoker.

Sponsored

The fire displaced four occupants, who accepted assistance offered by the Red Cross. The blaze caused about $156,000 worth of damage.

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Commentary: High-school athletic Twitter sites are must reads

Regularly reading and following local high-school athletic Twitter sites is must-see stuff for those interested in keeping up with...
- Advertisement -

More Articles Like This