Arlington County Board members on Sept. 17 are slated to accept the donation of a just under an acre of land that will be incorporated into adjacent Zachary Taylor Park.
Deeding the parcel to the county government was part of the will of resident Anne Terborgh, who recently died. Terborgh directed that the back half of her property at 4582 26th St. North be carved out and handed over to be incorporated into the park.
(While the county government will not pay Terborgh’s heirs anything to acquire the land, nothing is ever really “free” – the county government expects to spend about $3,000 to cover closing costs required to consummate the transaction.)
Terborgh’s bequest includes a restrictive covenant that the land remain in its natural, undeveloped state, but does allow the county government to remove invasive species and to install a park bench or sign on the property.
A second part of the Terborgh parcel is being donated to the Northern Virginia Conservation Trust.
The property at 5482 26th St. North has been in the Terborgh family for generations. The 1.5-acre parcel and its improvements were assessed at $12,520 in 1957, a figure that grew to $2.21 million in the January 2022 reassessment, according to county-government data.