News of the achievements of local students and members of the Armed Forces.
- Michael Wosje of Arlington earned a master of science degree in management during recent commencement exercises at Troy University.
- Christopher Nouhan of Arlington earned a bachelor of arts degree, cum laude, in new-media studies during recent commencement exercises at Alma College.
- Jared Jacobs of Arlington has been named to the provost’s list for the third term at Troy University.
- Arlington residents Nicholas Bowers, Evie Gieseman, Yueyang Yan, Julia Posner, Sara Jewel and Emily Newman have been named to the dean’s list for the fall semester at Lehigh University.
- Timica Shivers and Sarah Wagner of Arlington have been inducted into the George Mason University chapter of the Phi Kappa Phi all-discipline honor society.
- Retta Laumann of Arlington, a graduate of Wakefield High School, performed in the recent Baldwin Wallace University production of the slapstick comedy “Staged Reading: A Staged Reading.”
- Cailyn Murray of Arlington performed in the recent production of “Run Glue Pour Dive: A Re-membering,” which as presented April 5-7 as part of the Muhlenberg College Mnemonic Theatre Festival.
- The Arlington Historical Society and Cherrydale Columbia Lodge 42 again are gearing up to present the Arlington Historical Essay Contest for youth in grades 8-12.
Students are asked to write an essay on: “How did the 9/11 attack affect Arlington? As a community, are we successfully remembering and memorializing the day?”
The competition deadline is May 21. A total of $1,000 in cash prizes will be awarded, and the winning entry will be featured in the Arlington Historical Magazine.
For information and entry details, see the Website at www.arlingtonhistoricalsociety.org.
Arlington Historical Society officials have announced plans to hold their annual dinner, focused on the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, on Sept. 9 at Washington Golf & Country Club, health conditions permitting.