News that was making news in years gone by.
April 9, 1943:
- The U.S. Senate has postponed action on a bill that would place certain federal areas in Arlington under control of the District of Columbia.
Arlington officials are vigorously opposing the measure, as is U.S. Sen. Carter Glass (D-Va.).
- At Penney’s, men’s all-wool suits are on sale for $29.75, with sports slacks at $5.90 and ties from 49 cents to 98 cents.
April 10, 1958:
- Superintendent Edward Rutter has announced plans to take a job at a school system near Philadelphia.
- The School Board will decide whether to uphold the superintendent’s decision to fire a teacher who admitted membership in the Communist Party during the 1930s and 1940s.
- Three Democrats have lined up to seek the nomination for the 10th District U.S. House of Representatives seat held by Arlington Republican Joel Broyhill.
April 9-10, 1965:
- The Planning Commission has launched a beautification effort.
- At the movies: “The Pink Panther,” “Night of the Iguana” and “Goldfinger.”
- Washington-Lee topped Marshall, 2-1, in its baseball opener.
April 10, 1973:
- The Northern Virginia Sun sent a number of its top-selling newsboys to Florida, with stops at Disney World, Daytona and the Kennedy Space Center.
- Democrat Ira Lechner has announced plans to seek a House of Delegates seat.
April 10, 1984:
- Gov. Robb has signed legislation creating a state holiday to honor Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Three years before, Gov. Dalton had vetoed similar legislation.
- A private firm plans to provide helicopter service between the area’s airports. The trip from Dulles to National will take 12 minutes.
- Northern Virginia researchers are attempting to determine how many of the world’s 2,000 species of fleas reside in Virginia. So far, they have identified 31.
- Lyman Kelley Sr., who in 1931 was elected one of the first five County Board members in Arlington, has died at age 82.
April 10, 1992:
- Recovery in the housing market is a precursor to the overall health of the local economy, Northern Virginia Association of Realtors officials said at a forum.
- Many Arlington Democrats are expected to support an uncommitted slate of delegates to the district and state presidential nominating conventions.
- About 600 cyclists have signed up to pedal from Northern Virginia to Richmond, part of the Clean Air Challenge.
- The annual Arbor Day celebration is set for Saturday at Bon Air Park.